The Pro-Life Proclamation against Violence
WHEREAS, We live in a society where violence is often portrayed, in the entertainment industry, as the solution to our problems; and
WHEREAS, we are frequently faced with people, in all walks of life, who act out this violence in schools, post offices, fast food restaurants, and other public venues; and
WHEREAS, there have been a number of recent acts of violence perpetrated against abortion industry personnel; and
WHEREAS, certain individuals and groups have taken the responsibility for these acts and claim to be part of the pro-life movement; and
WHEREAS, a small number of allegedly pro-life groups have hailed those perpetrating violent acts as heroes; and
WHEREAS, the media have given inordinate publicity to these allegedly pro-life fringe groups while ignoring the statements of the established, genuine pro-life organizations and leaders condemning the violence; and
WHEREAS, it is clear from the events of recent weeks that there is an attempt to portray the entire pro-life movement as a criminal, hateful campaign,
We, the undersigned, do hereby issue this Proclamation in order to set the record straight:
WE DECLARE that the deliberate cold-blooded killing of a human being, from his creation to his death, is always wrong. This belief is the essence of what it means to be pro-life; and
WE DECLARE that the pro-life movement acknowledges that every individual human being is created by God in His image and likeness; and
WE DECLARE that each individual’s purpose is to gain eternal happiness, and the murder of any individual may rob him of the opportunity to obtain that purpose. Thus:
WE DO HEREBY PROCLAIM THAT IT IS THE PURPOSE OF THE PRO-LIFE MOVEMENT TO RESTORE FULL LEGAL PROTECTION TO ALL HUMAN BEINGS, FROM CREATION TO DEATH, USING PEACEFUL AND PRAYERFUL MEANS IN THE PURSUIT OF THAT GOAL.
In furtherance of this purpose, we call on:
- The entertainment industry to stop the glorification of violence on TV, in the movies, in video games, and elsewhere.
- The news media to accurately report the total aversion to violence of all the major pro-life groups in this nation.
- Our elected officials, at all levels of government, to endorse and work for the passage of a Paramount Human Life Amendment to state and federal constitutions that would do nothing more and nothing less than recognize the basic human rights inherent to every human being from creation to death.
- The abortion industry to stop the violence against helpless children.
- Every pro-lifer to reject violence and those who commit violent acts.
- All perpetrators of violence to recognize that, far from being pro-life crusaders, they are nothing more than common criminals.